Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A Depressing Song

Are you looking for a depressing song?

Sad Days is a real depressing song by design. It's one of those songs that I like to listen to when I feel like ending it all. This song also has a floaty type of feel. In fact, I picture my soul floating out of my body, as I lay in a tub of red colored water. It gives me comfort when I'm really depressed (not just a bad day.)

In an interview Patrick James said "When I came up with the riff, the Smashing Pumpkins 'Adore' album kept popping into my head for some reason. I thought that using electronic drums, instead of acoustic drums, would give it a colder, more repetitive, disconnected and numbing feel."

The lyrics are depressing, the vocals are depressing, and the beat is down right depressing. The bass line seems to plod along begrudgingly. I love  the comforting, relentless xylphone (it sounds like it's in my head when I listen with headphones.) The loud whispers of "Sad Days" throughout the song gives it a grim reaper beckoning type of feel. One wonders does the "Down, Down, I'm falling down" lyric symbolize something more sinister.

The peaceful overdriven fade-out guitar solo is the perfect way to end this ever depressing song.

If you need to be uplifted after such a depressing song, Everyday is kind of an answer to Sad Days (as well as Retribution?) The album ends on a positive note (as opposed to depressing.) Is that good or bad? I'll leave it up to you to decide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home